Are you worrying about an IT breach more than your company's sales numbers? In some sense, that's a good thing (IT security should be at the top of your list). But on the flip side, it shouldn't be keeping your organization's C-Suite executives up at night.
If IT security problems are becoming a headache, you probably need to do more to protect your company from cyber attacks.
Here are two effective methods to help you reduce your uncertainty about cyber threats.
1. Use advanced IT security systems and protocols
There are countless malware programs on the market, but IT security goes beyond simply downloading this software or updating your firewall. (Which by the way you should still do, if you haven't already.)
To really protect your databases from cybercriminals, you must accomplish the following:
- Decide who has control of applications: Don't hand everyone in your company the keys to the kingdom. We're assuming there's a lot of precious gold (data) sitting in there that some insiders would love to steal if provided the opportunity.
- Record detailed logs: Owning a great log management system will help you reduce uncertainty over cyber threats because they do exactly as they sound: They log a computer's actions. These can not only help you detect and find cybercriminals (at least insiders), but can also help you strengthen weaknesses in your system's firewall.
2. Protect yourself from insiders
Per a McAfee study of 1,155 IT and security decision-makers around the world (522 of which were actually interviewed), insider threats accounted for 43 percent of lost data. Half of those, the report noted, were intentional.
That means the other half consisted of certain individuals within the company that were intentionally stealing or exploiting information. Of course the type of information varies, but it can include passwords, employee data, such as social security numbers, and financial and contact information.
Speaking with Information Age, Sian John, EMEA Chief Strategist at Symantec, discussed other instances employees accidently upload critical information.
"Company data can be accidentally uploaded to cloud applications like Dropbox or personal Gmail accounts, which employees access on work devices without the organization's knowledge," John said. "This happens in even the largest technology companies - in fact, our research found that 51% of corporate executives emailed company documents from a personal email address."
So what can companies do to ease their uncertainty when it pertains to insider threats?
It's critical they commit more resources to monitoring solutions, internal best practice IT training sessions and security solutions, such as cameras.
You don't want to give your employees an impression like they're living in George Orwell's 1984, but you do want to keep them and the company protected.
How You Can Gain Peace of Mind
EiQ offers two SOCVue® hybrid security-as-a-service solutions that can help organizations of any size affordably and effectively improve their cybersecurity and compliance posture:
- SOCVue Security Monitoring gives you visibility and control over your IT environment. You’ll get best-of-breed Log Management and SIEM that is managed around-the-clock for real-time threat detection, analysis and notification, proactive remediation guidance, and compliance auditing.
- SOCVue Vulnerability Management reduces your attack surface and mitigates risk with unlimited managed scans, analysis, risk prioritization, and remediation guidance. Focus on what matters most: your core business.
EiQ’s SOCVue combine the best people, process, and technology to build the enterprise-class IT security program your organization needs. That’s because SOCVue gives you the flexibility and cost savings of a security software-as-a-service offering, but also provides a world-class team of security and technology experts to manage the technology and help implement cybersecurity best practices.
With all the challenges you face today while trying to keep your organization safe, having the best IT security solutions in your corner should not be one of them. Request a demo today to see how quickly and affordably you can improve your security and compliance posture with EiQ.